A world where 1920s Art Deco style meets 2020s quality amenities!
Opulent, Sumptuous, Elegant, Lavish and a truly unique piece of genuine History
Named as one of the Top 13 Best Historic & Heritage Hotels in NZ, this iconic century-old Ōwhango Post Office underwent an extensive 8-month renovation transforming it into what is now one of the most distinctive accommodation Lodges in the entire Ruapehu District!
Welcome to The Old Post Office Lodge of Ōwhango Village, in the stunning Tongariro National Park ward (being the planet’s 4th ever Cultural Heritage site). The Old Post Office Lodge in Ōwhango is your perfect year-round Base Camp to extraordinary outdoor adventures throughout the endlessly stunning region of the Mount Ruapehu District!
Basecamp to the Ruapehu District!
- End point of the Tongariro Forest’s 42 Traverse trail
- 1-min to one of the best Cafés in the area
- World-class Fishing at the end of the road
- Incredible Walking tracks and Cycling trails in every direction
- Many Hunting locations in multiple directions
- 15-mins south to the Pubs & Restaurants at National Park Village
- 15-mins north to Taumarunui town & the local Supermarket
- 25-mins to Whakapapa Village at Mt Ruapehu
Located on the Adventure Highway (State Highway 4), this century-old building only closed as a functional NZ Post Office in 1989. After that it became a back-packer lodge for a while, then a private home, and in 2020 extensive renovations commenced to turn it into the gorgeous 1930s art deco lodge it is today.
And an amazing location to get your glam on for a Great Gatsby evening or Murder Mystery night!
What people are saying
Our unique and versatile accomodation options
5/6/7 Bedrooms, up to 18 guests
- All amenities listed under both the West and East
- Plus Dorm Room which interconnects both Wings, featuring 4 x Single Beds
- 5 or 6 Bedroom bookings can reserve in advance any of the seven bedrooms they prefer
- An 18th person is able to be accommodated sleeping on the Lounge Couch
1/2/3/4 Bedrooms, up to 11 guests
- Opulent art deco decor theme
- Master Bedroom: 4-poster Queen
- 2nd Bedroom: Double
- 3rd Bedroom: Triple (double-single bunk)
- Optional 4th Bedroom: Dorm Room (4 x Single Beds)
- Roomy Gatsby-style Lounge
- Opulent Kitchen-Dining with all the mod-cons
- Drying Room-Cupboard
- Gun Safe vault
- Washer & Dryer
- Post Office’s phone-booth converted into the Shower
- Separate Toilet
- Lounge wood-fire & Heat-pump
- Outdoor back deck with traditional Finnish-style Sauna cabin, Hot-tub style spa-pool, Fire-pit with Cape Cod style chairs & bbq forks for toasting marshmallows
1/2/3 Bedrooms, up to 6 guests
- Historic 1930s decor theme
- Ruapehu Bedroom: Queen with office Desk
- Tongariro & Ngauruhoe Bedrooms: Double beds each
- Uber cool bathroom with shower & toilet
- Kitchen-Dining with Laundry & Heat-pump
- The entire East-Wing can be booked as a 2-3 Bedroom ‘unit’ reservation
- OR single East-Wing bedrooms can be booked individually, sharing the East Wing Bathroom and Kitchen-Dining as communal amenities.
Plenty of free parking available on-site and road-side
Access to secure Garage for storing outdoor gear
(bikes, skis, snowboards, fishing rods etc) including
bike stands, powerpoints for e-bikes, small workbench & garden hose