A world where 1920s Art Deco style meets 2020s quality amenities!
Opulent, Sumptuous, Elegant, Lavish
and a truly unique piece of genuine History
In 2021 this iconic century-old Ōwhango Post Office underwent an extensive 8-month renovation transforming it into what is now one of the most distinctive accommodation Lodges in the entire Ruapehu District!
Basecamp to the Ruapehu District!
- End point of the Tongariro Forest’s 42 Traverse trail
- 1-min to one of the best Cafés in the area
- World-class Fishing at the end of the road
- Incredible Walking tracks and Cycling trails in every direction
- Many Hunting locations in multiple directions
- 15-mins south to the Pubs & Restaurants at National Park Village
- 15-mins north to Taumarunui town & the local Supermarket
- 25-mins to Whakapapa Village at Mt Ruapehu
And an amazing location to get your glam on for a Great Gatsby evening or Murder Mystery night!
Our unique and versatile accomodation options
5/6/7 Bedrooms, up to 18 guests
- All amenities listed under both the West and East
- Plus Dorm Room which interconnects both Wings, featuring 4 x Single Beds
- 5 or 6 Bedroom bookings can reserve in advance any of the seven bedrooms they prefer
- An 18th person is able to be accommodated sleeping on the Lounge Couch
1/2/3/4 Bedrooms, up to 11 guests
- Opulent art deco decor theme
- Master Bedroom: 4-poster Queen
- 2nd Bedroom: Double
- 3rd Bedroom: Triple (double-single bunk)
- Optional 4th Bedroom: Dorm Room (4 x Single Beds)
- Roomy Gatsby-style Lounge
- Opulent Kitchen-Dining with all the mod-cons
- Drying Room-Cupboard
- Gun Safe vault
- Washer & Dryer
- Post Office’s phone-booth converted into the Shower
- Separate Toilet
- Lounge wood-fire & Heat-pump
- Outdoor back deck with traditional Finnish-style Sauna cabin, Hot-tub style spa-pool, Fire-pit with Cape Cod style chairs & bbq forks for toasting marshmallows
1/2/3 Bedrooms, up to 6 guests
- Historic 1930s decor theme
- Ruapehu Bedroom: Queen with office Desk
- Tongariro & Ngauruhoe Bedrooms: Double beds each
- Uber cool bathroom with shower & toilet
- Kitchen-Dining with Laundry & Heat-pump
- The entire East-Wing can be booked as a 2-3 Bedroom ‘unit’ reservation
- OR single East-Wing bedrooms can be booked individually, sharing the East Wing Bathroom and Kitchen-Dining as communal amenities
Plenty of free parking available on-site and road-side
What people are saying
Ready to escape?
42 at 42
Enjoy 42 Owhango Rd after the 42 Traverse!
For everyone experiencing the 42 Traverse in the nearby Tongariro Forest Conservation Area, we recommend afterwards relaxing in our gorgeous Finnish sauna cabin and wonderful Hot-tub spa-pool, then sitting around the fire-pit sipping hot mulled wine and toasting marshmallows to make s’mores!
But, if you can’t stay at the Old Post Office Lodge, still do stop for a Selfie at our 42 Traverse Wall!
(Wall created by community locals from repurposing the old Post Office roofing iron, and chimney stacks, and kitchen hearth bricks – along with saving some old bikes and old skis being thrown away.)